Thursday, November 4, 2010

The DM's Workspace

Well, last time I talked about how I've set up my gaming room, and this time I'd like to talk about the next most important piece, how I set up my personal workspace when I run a game of Dungeons and Dragons.  First off, I run my games using a laptop, I find that it means that I am taking up far less space than when I ran games on paper.  All of my ntoes are easy to get to and never get disorganized.  I also have a DND Insider subscription which means that I have access to their Adventure Builder.  That means that I always have access to every monster written, and that I can edit them easily.  I still track HP and efects on paper though, I find that it helps me to stay quick if I'm not switching between applications all the time.  I like to keep my books close, but not at the table, so I have a bookshelf nearby to house my books.

I do use a screen, and I keep my binder of info and my netbook behind it, as well as my dice.  I keep my minis in a three drawer unit organized by size next to my chair.

I use crayola markers on a laminated sheet of graph chart paper as my grid.  It works well as a wet-erase board and the markers come in a wide variety of colours.  I keep the markers out near the grid because sometime I draw the maps, and sometimes my players do.  I keep pencils, erasers, and a sharpener nearby for those forgetful folks, and I have a cupboard to store props and other goodies in.  I'll post a picture of it all set up later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment